Amateur Singles and Doubles Championships 2020
Both finalists had survived five-set semi-finals prior to Saturday's final. Ed Kay was engaged in an epic 53-game thriller against doubles partner, Jamie Giddins, recovering from a two game deficit to finally reach the final. Both players know each other's game even better! Meanwhile, Jamie Douglas was seemingly cruising towards the final against Robert Shenkman, before his younger opponent turned the tables winning, the third and fourth games at the rush. Normal service was resumed in the fifth.
In a repeat of last year's final, the two Bathurst Cup stalwarts fought out a tight first set, which saw Douglas slowly gain the upper hand with some powerful boasts and finding his targets at the right times. More of the same in the second set, despite some strong resistance from Kay, volleying defensively under pressure. At 2-all in the third, the match was at a tipping point but now Kay dug deep, cutting beautifully to perfect length, to capture the set and establish himself in the match. But now Douglas was spurred into action and played devastating Tennis to lead 5-0. A purple game from Kay only delayed the inevitable, with Douglas taking the second of two championship points in the next game, and successfully defend his title.
- Jamie Douglas (1) bt Ed Kay (2) 6/3 6/2 2/6 6/1
- Ed Kay (2) bt Jamie Giddins (4) 5/6 5/6 6/5 6/3 6/5
- Jamie Douglas (1) bt Robert Shenkman (3) 6/2 6/0 0/6 2/6 6/2
- J. Douglas (1) bt F. Bristowe 6/1 6/1 6/1
- R. Shenkman bt R. Giddins w/o
- J. Giddins (4) bt A. Ducliffe-Vines 6/0 6/0 6/0
- E. Kay bt T. Bomford 6/1 6/1 6/3
- R. Giddins bt A. Dolman 4/6 6/4 6/4 6/3
- F. Bristowe bt W. Flynn 5/6 6/2 6/3 6/4
- A. Duncliffe-Vines bt C-A. Hurstel 4/6 6/1 6/5 (ret.)
- T. Bomford bt P. Dunn 6/4 6/2 5/6 6/5
- Ed Kay & Jamie Giddins (2) bt Jamie Douglas & Peter Wright (1) 6/4 6/5 4/6 6/4
- Ed Kay & Jamie Giddins (2) bt Adam Dolman & James Acheson-Gray 6/4 2/6 6/2 4/6 6/0
- Jamie Douglas & Peter Wright (1) bt Freddie Dixon & Will Morse 6/1 6/3 6/2
- Adam Dolman & James Acheson-Gray bt Pete Jarvis & Richard Elmitt 6/2 6/4 6/1
- Ed Kay & Jamie Giddins (2) bt Nick Baker & Chris Kroeger 6/0 6/0 6/0
- F. Dixon & W. Morse bt P. Dunn & T. Bomford 6/3 6/2 2/6 6/4
Sponsored by The Tennis & Rackets Association
The Singles Championship is restricted to 16 players. The Doubles Championship is restricted to 8 pairs. Seeding and entry will be determined by handicaps on the RTO list on the closing date of entry. There will be a maximum handicap of 20 for both the singles and doubles (playersâ€™ individual doubles handicaps will be used).
The tournament will be run to the following schedule:
15th & 16th Feb - Round of 16
18th Feb - Quarter-finals
20th Feb - Semi-finals
22nd Feb - Final
17th & 19th Feb â€“ Quarter-finals
21st Feb - Semi-finals
23rd Feb - Final.