Henry Leaf Cup 2017
The 2017 Henry Leaf Old Boys Tournament was held at the Queens Club on March 18th & 19th. Whilst there were no entries this year from Radley, Canford, The Oratory or Wellington, it was great to welcome to the tournament newcomers Altrincham Grammar and a new pair from Westminster, joining the old stalwarts of St Edmunds, Charterhouse, Lancing, Harrow and Eton.
The tournament is a best-of-3-set knock out set up. Andrew Page and Angus Williams of Lancing beat Nick Warner and Joe Bone of Harrow to set up a semi final against fellow Petworth members James Acheson-Gray and Adam Dolman of Charterhouse. It promised to be an enticing affair given the close handicaps but Charterhouse rather ran away with it after a closely fought opening. The other semi final saw the superbly talented young paring of Robert Shenkman and Guy Maxwell of Altrincham Grammar (who had overcome Simon Talbott-Williams & Charlie Harris of Teddy’s) take on the extremely experienced Harry Eddis and Horatio Cary of Eton (who in turn had defeated Edwin Richards & Mathew Webb of Westminster) in what turned out to be the match of the tournament. There really was some wonderful tennis played and after two very closely contested sets, Altrincham came away victorious 6-4, 6-5, to set up a final against the defending champions Charterhouse. Sadly Altrincham seemed to have exhausted themselves in the semi against Eton and ran out of puff in the final, as the Old Carthusians managed to successfully defend their crown with a 6-1, 6-1 win.
If you are interested in playing in the Henry Leaf next year, please contact Adam Dolman on email@example.com
- Charterhouse (A.Dolman & J.Acheson-Gray) bt Altincham (R.Shenkman & G.Maxwell) 6/1 6/1
- Charterhouse (A.Dolman & J.Acheson-Gray) bt Lancing (A.Williams & A.Page) 6/1 6/0
- Altincham (R.Shenkman & G.Maxwell) bt Eton (H.Eddis & H.Cary) 6/4 6/5
- Lancing (A.Williams & A.Page) bt Harrow (N.Warner & J.Bone) 6/2 5/6 6/1
- Altincham (R.Shenkman & G.Maxwell) bt St. Edwards, Oxford (C.Harris & S.Talbot-Williams) 6/0 6/0
- Eton (H.Eddis & H.Cary) bt Qualifier 6/0 6/0
Champions 2017 - Adam Dolman & James Acheson-Gray
Altincham and Charterhouse with family