Invitation Singles 2018
Tom Billings comfortably won his qualifying group with emphatic victories over his rivals. Nick Hopcroft qualified with him, after beating Nick James in three. Ryan Tulley worked his way through qualifying before meeting his match, although good to see him competing at the highest level. In the second group, Ben Cawston proved equally dominant, winning his matches at a canter. the remainder of the group was tight and qualifier, Tom Stevens, went close against James Coyne, leading two games to love before Coyne powered back. Qualifier, Charlie Mckelvey, also took games off both Coyne and Stevens before losing both matches.
The semi-finals saw James Coyne take on Tom Billings, with Tom too strong on the day, very much on form. The second semi-final was quite the opposite with the rapidly improving Ben Cawston losing the first two games to Nick Hopcroft. Cawston rallied, taking the next two game to level the match and surely take the momentum into the decider. But Hopcroft had other ideas and showed remarkable resilience to win the match in five.
Having already shown Hopcroft a clean pair of heels in the group stages, Billings stepped up a gear to better his valiant opponent in the final. Hopcroft played well but Billings was sublime and untouchable. His silky touch was masterful, his length perfect, and his balance outstanding. After the disappointment of the previous weekend, Billings made sure he took home the silverware.
T&RA Trustee, Charlie Foreman, presented the famous trophy to Tom Billings, thanking Richard Owen for his organisation of the tournament.
- T Billings bt N Hopcroft 15/0 15/1 15/4
- T Billings bt J Coyne 15/0 15/3 15/4
- N Hopcroft bt B Cawston 15/13 15/2 12/15 6/15 15/4
- Nick James bt Ryan Tulley 15/2 15/0 15/2
- Nick Hopcroft vs N James 15/4 15/7 15/10
- Tom Billings bt N Hopcroft 15/7 15/2 15/2
- T Billings bt R Tulley 15/3 15/5 15/1
- N Hopcroft bt R Tulley 15/10 15/7 15/6
- T Billings bt N James 15/0 15/1 15/1
- Ben Cawston bt Charlie Mckelvey 15/7 15/4 15/6
- James Coyne bt Tom Stevens 4/15 7/15 15/10 15/10 15/4
- J Coyne bt C Mckelvey 9/15 15/10 15/9 15/9
- B Cawston bt T Stevens 15/7 15/11 15/8
- T Stevens bt C Mckelvey 15/2 10/15 15/14 15/1
- B Cawston vs J Coyne 15/4 15/9 15/10