Invitation Singles 2019
Two very different semi-finals. Ben Cawston beat Alex Duncliffe-Vines in three games using his speed and athleticism to overcome a dangerous opponent.
ADV didnâ€™t have the usual penetration on his service but did reach game point in the third, before Cawston slowly recovered the three point deficit.
ADV called no set, Cawston capitalised and reached his first Invitation Final. Alex Titchener-Barrett recovered from two games down against one-time
partner Christian Portz. Portz started well winning the first and then a tense second 18/16. The third game was pivotal but it was ATB who closed it
out 15/12, and then the fourth and fifth in short order as the momentum switched.
The first Qualifying Tournament of the new cycle saw the youthful Cawston take on seasoned campaigner ATB. Cawston won the spin and deservedly reeled off four points. ATB won back the serve with a spectacular cross-court winner. ATB could only muster a point before Cawston put together a seven point run to lead 11-1. ATB struck back to reduce the deficit 4-11, and then 9-11 with an audacious trick shot. But again Cawston forced his way back into the box, serving to perfect length to lead 14-9. Two game points came and went before Cawston finally closed out the game.
The second game started promisingly for both players and, after a hand apiece, ATB led 3-2. But Cawston then played a fabulous series of points, including perfectly deployed serves and running down everything, forcing ATB to play tighter and tighter to the tin. Against such margins, the game belonged to Cawston, scoring 13 points in one hand, winning 15/3 and establishing a two game lead.
It was now or never for ATB who quickly found himself three points behind. He rallied to lead 4-3 but would not lead again as Cawston scored seven points on his next hand, leading 10-4. ATB covered every corner, but Cawston anticipated everything, leading 13-6 and then inching towards this prestigious title. At 14-6, Cawston just missed a deft drop shot but made no mistake at the second time of asking.
Charles Hue Williams was on hand to present the Invitation Singles trophy to a new and worthy champion, Ben Cawston, who now moves up to a highest ever
world ranking of 3. Many thanks to tournament organiser, Richard Owen. The latest Grays racquets were presented to both players.
- B Cawston bt A Titchener-Barrett 15/9 15/3 15/6
- B Cawston bt A Duncliffe-Vines 15/7 15/8 15/14
- A Titchener-Barrett bt C Portz 6/15 16/18 15/12 15/4 15/2
- C Portz bt N James 15/8 15/12 15/3
- B Cawston bt F Roumani 15/7 15/3 15/4
- B Cawston bt N James 15/4 15/9 15/3
- B Cawston bt C Portz 15/1 15/10 17/16
- N James bt F Roumani 13/15 15/10 15/12 6/15 15/2
- C Portz bt F Roumani 15/8 15/2 15/4
- A Duncliffe-Vines bt M Farmiloe 15/1 15/14 13/15 15/0
- A Titchener-Barrett bt J Coyne 15/1 15/4 15/2
- A Titchener-Barrett bt A Duncliffe-Vines 15/19 15/10 15/9
- J Coyne bt M Farmiloe 15/16 4/15 15/7 15/7 15/4
- A Titchener-Barrett bt M Farmiloe 13/15 15/4 15/6 15/4
- A Duncliffe-Vines bt J Coyne 15/12 15/2 15/7
The draw and schedule are below.