Marlborough College Rackets Professional Vacancy
Marlborough College is seeking to employ a Rackets Professional to lead and direct College Rackets, commencing September 2023.
Founded in 1843, Marlborough College is the largest co-educational Full boarding school in the country, set in the picturesque market town of Marlborough and surrounded by the beautiful Wiltshire countryside.
The College has over 1,000 pupils aged 13-18, the vast majority of whom are full boarders. The College’s mission is to deliver the best independent, co-educational, full boarding education in the UK and to be recognised for this globally. Our vision is to be a leading, outward looking and inclusive school where children with potential are given the opportunity to make a difference to society.
Further details about Marlborough College can be found online at www.marlboroughcollege.org
Rackets has a distinguished history at Marlborough, having been played at the College for nearly 140 years. Marlborough won the Public Schools’ Doubles Championship for the first time in 1901. Long serving Rackets Professional Robert Wakely, who joined the College in 1978, is retiring after 45 years outstanding service.
Qualifications and Experience required.
Marlborough is seeking to appoint a full time Rackets Professional. They should have a minimum of 3 years coaching experience and/or have played Rackets to a high level. The successful candidate will promote, plan and deliver our Rackets programme to both boys and girls. They will immerse themselves in life at a busy boarding school helping with training, fixtures and tournaments.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To arrange fixtures and tournaments in conjunction with the Master i/c Rackets.
- To direct a high-quality Rackets programme in conjunction with the Master i/c Rackets under the guidance of the Director of Sport.
- To lead and promote boys & girls Rackets encouraging both excellence and participation.
- To coach Rackets players from all year groups throughout the year.
- To assist the Master i/c with administrative duties.
- To be responsible for the ordering of all Rackets equipment.
- To manage the Rackets budget in conjunction with the Master i/c Rackets.
- To attend termly Rackets pros meetings.
- To offer Rackets taster sessions for primary, secondary and Prep School pupils as part of outreach and recruitment events.
- To maintain and update coaching resources that Rackets staff & volunteer coaches can easily follow to suit pupils of varying age and ability.
- To arrange an annual Rackets match with Old Marlburians and current pupils as part of the Festival of Sport.
- To maintain regular communication with the TR&A, other Racket professionals and relevant organisations that support Rackets.
- To accompany Rackets teams to fixtures and tournaments.
- To communicate with HMs and teaching staff in conjunction with the Master i/c Rackets under the
- guidance of the Director of Sport when fixtures and tournaments involve missing school.
- To support in the coaching of other sport(s) during the Summer Term as directed by the Director of Sport.
- To perform weekly tutoring duties in a Boarding House.
- To be actively involvement in the pastoral and co-curricular life of a busy boarding school.